What to Do if You’re Injured at Work

Injuries that are sustained while working are called work-related injuries.This also applies to a situation whereby an employee has been sent elsewhere for work. Accidental falls and trauma are some of the main causes of injury resulting from bad working conditions. A worker should be compensated after sustaining injuries at work. Injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome and bursitis are also catered for by this policy. In addition to this, workers are also eligible for payment after getting motor vehicle accident injuries.The following are tips on what to do if you’re injured at your place of work.

Firstly, medical attention has to be sought first.However, there are conditions to follow when doing this since it has to be done in the right manner.To start with, your employer has to be informed about the accident as quickly as possible. Immediately after the accident, ask your supervisor to inform the human resources department of the same. Afterwards, you are supposed to see a specific medical practitioner that you will be referred to.

However, you can choose your own doctor if you are covered by FECA. Additionally, any help from your colleagues at work should not be accepted. You might get problems with your claim if you accept help from your colleagues.Therefore, look for any other available means of getting help or you may hire a cab to take you to the medical practitioner that you have been referred to.

When you know your rights in the workplace, you will be at an advantage. Most workers do not know their rights relating to injuries sustained at work.First, they are entitled to claim for the illness or the injury either in the industrial courts or workers compensation court. Workers can claim for loss of income for the period that they are incapacitated.Similarly, if you sustain permanent disability whereby you can’t return to work permanently, this should also be claimed.

Additionally, you can still go back to work after you are declared fit. You have the right to go back to your previous position of work after treatment. Anyone denying you this right is liable in the court of law.In addition to this, the medical bill should be footed by your employer’s insurance company.

Subsequently, an official claim form should be filled, dated and signed. This should be done as soon as possible and posted so that payment is made quickly. You can also claim for loss of income and any ongoing therapy. Though, documentary evidence from the doctor is necessary. Dodge Jones, on their website, explains clearly how to go about a case where an employer does not have a workers compensation policy.

Quotes: straight from the source